Home Page FAI SSS About Us Our Teams Fixtures/Results Our Grounds Directions SMALL SIDED
300 Club Competition
Club Merchandise
Photo Gallery
News & Events
Contact Us
Secretary's Report
Follow Us On Facebook
Mission Statement
Club Honours
To receive weekly updates on results and fixtures enter your email address here
Shannon Hibernians AFC Shannon
Sun 13 Feb 2011 - Shannon Town Edge Local Derby < back
Lawson Cup
Shannon Town 2 - 1 Shannon Hibernians
With the two teams playing in different leagues in the last few seasons, when Shannon Town and Shannon Hibs were drawn against each other in the Lawson Cup the match was greeted with great anticipation by both sides. Plying their trade in the premier league, albeit struggling at the moment, Shannon Town came into this match as slight favourites. The opening exchanges of the game began with a bit of niggle between the two teams that is expected in these Shannon derbies. Hibs had the first chance of the game after ten minutes when Rob Wall sent a ball in from a corner, Gary Leahy controlled the ball and shot low from a tight angle but the ball went just wide of the post. Five minutes later Hibs had another chance when a free was sent in from the half way line into the box, Leahy headed the ball on towards the back post where Finbar Neville just failed to make contact with the ball. The match was quite even after that with neither team creating any clear cut chances until the half hour mark when Shannon Town should have opened the scoring, Hibs were caught in possession attempting to see the ball out over the byline, the ball was sent low across the 6 yard line where Shane McCarthy failed to connect properly with the ball and saw the ball go wide of the post from close range.

The sides went in at the break level, Hibs then had a great chance to take the lead two minutes into the second half, Bobby McPhilips played the ball through the middle to Leahy who then played the ball through to Declan McDonald who ran into the box and shot but was well saved by Gareth Aherne, the ball went loose and McDonald managed to get another shot in but again it was saved. Five minutes later Shannon Town took the lead, Hibs were guilty of again not clearing the ball and were caught in possession, the ball was sent into the box where Adrian Carew had a simple tap in. Hibs pushed for an equaliser with Shannon Town looking dangerous on the break but with a half an hour gone in the second half, Hibs levelled the game in superb style. Thomas Reidy who had just been introduced received the ball outside the Shannon Town box, he played the ball into the penalty area where Rob Wall controlled the ball and shot a half volley into the right hand corner of the net. With five minutes remaining Shannon Town were awarded a free kick on the left hand touchline, the ball was sent into the box and Adrian Carew managed to get his head to the ball to guide the ball into the back on the net. The final few minutes were scrappy with Hibs pushing to score a goal but John Cohen was then sent off for Hibs with two minutes remaining after a late challenge to hinder their chances. Shannon Town now progress to the next round of the cup but this was a typical hard fought Shannon derby that either side could have won and illustrated that there is very little to choose between these two Shannon teams.

Shannon Hibs Team:
Darren Whelan, BJ Cantillon, Thomas McDade, Finbar Neville, Pa Devaney, John Coen, Jamie Egan, Bobby McPhilips, Gary Leahy, Declan McDonald, Rob Wall
Subs: Dale Nolan, Stephen McInerney, Thomas Reidy, Julio Perez, Gavin Lundy

Shannon Town Team:
Garret Aherne, Robert O'Connell, Fergal McCarthy, Darren Griffin, Patrick Darcy, Brian Power, Shane McCarthy, Noel Collins, Adrian Carew, Christopher Dunning, Andrew Fitzgerald
Subs: Alan Watson, Paul Butler, Brian Keane, Mark McKee, Stephen Monaghan
Web Design by Magico