Home Page FAI SSS About Us Our Teams Fixtures/Results Our Grounds Directions SMALL SIDED
300 Club Competition
Club Merchandise
Photo Gallery
News & Events
Contact Us
Secretary's Report
Follow Us On Facebook
Mission Statement
Club Honours
To receive weekly updates on results and fixtures enter your email address here
Shannon Hibernians AFC Shannon
Sun 23 Jan 2011 - A Team beat Caherdavin in the League < back
League Division 1A
Caherdavin 0 - 2 Shannon Hibernians

Hibs faced Caherdavin in the league with Hibs just one place above Caherdavin in the table going into the match. Hibs got off to the perfect start in the game taking the lead after just two minutes. The ball was crossed into the box, Rob Wall controlled the ball, turned the defender and shot into the right corner of the net. Hibs continued to play well and with twenty minutes gone Gary Leahy received the ball just outside the box, he beat the defender and shot from the 18 yard line but his shot went just wide of the left post. Hibs continued to press for a second goal and were very unlucky to not score after some superb football starting when Gary Leahy received the ball on the left flank and back heeled the ball to Rob Wall, who then sent a through ball into the box to Declan McDonald, McDonald then back heeled the ball to Rob Wall but his shot went just wide of the right hand post. Hibs won a corner with five minutes to go in the half, the ball went sent in towards the near post, John Cohen controlled the ball and shot from close range but saw the ball ricochet of the defender guarding the post.

Caherdavin started the second half much better and Darren Whelan in the Hibs goal was forced to pull off two fine saves in the opening minutes. With quarter of an hour in the second half gone Caherdavin should have levelled the game, after some good play down the right, the ball was played into the box and fell to an unmarked Caherdavin player ten yards out, Darren Whelan rushed out of his goal and managed to block the shot to keep Hibs in the lead. With a half hour gone in the game it was Hibs who were guilty of not finding the back of the net, the ball was played through from the left hand side towards the box, Gary Leahy ran onto the ball turned the defender, attempted to take the ball around the goal keeper but took one touch too many and the keeper managed to gather the ball. Thirty seconds later Hibs did mange get a second goal, the ball was played from inside the Hibs half across to the right hand wing, the Caherdavin goal keeper came out of his box attempting to clear the ball, Dale Nolan who had come on for Jamie Egan, got to the ball ahead of the keeper, ran down the byline and played the ball across the six yard line where Declan McDonald had the simple task of slotting the ball home from close range. Caherdavin continued to press for a goal and in the last five minutes had the Hibs defence under a great deal of the pressure, with Darren Whelan once again being called into making another good save. Hibs held out in the end to gain another valuable three points.

Hibs Team: Darren Whelan, James Fitzgerald, Finbar Neville, BJ Cantillon, Thomas McDade, John Cohen, Bobby McPhilips, Rob Wall, Jamie Egan, Declan McDonald, Gary Leahy
Subs: Dale Nolan for Jamie Egan, Stephen McInerney for Rob Wall, Julio Peres for Gary Leahy

League Division 3A
Regional Utd B 2 - 1 Shannon Hibernians B

Having not played a match in the league in over two months the B team may have been forgiven for being a bit rusty going into this match. The match was level at one a piece going into the closing minutes of the game with Regional scoring a late goal to take all three points. Hibs had a number of one on ones with the Regional keeper which they failed to convert and it may have been the lack of games that contributed to their lack of clinical finishing. Seamus Farrell scored the goal for Hibs to take his tally in the league for the season to 14.
Web Design by Magico