Home Page FAI SSS About Us Our Teams Fixtures/Results Our Grounds Directions SMALL SIDED
300 Club Competition
Club Merchandise
Photo Gallery
News & Events
Contact Us
Secretary's Report
Follow Us On Facebook
Mission Statement
Club Honours
To receive weekly updates on results and fixtures enter your email address here
Shannon Hibernians AFC Shannon
Sun 10 Oct 2010 - Leahy hits Fairview for Six < back
Super Six For Leahy
League Division 1A
Shannon Hibs 6 - 2 Fairview Rangers B

Hibs played host to Fairview Rangers B in the league following their great come back against Summerville the previous week in the FAI.
Fairview got off to the ideal start when the went a goal up after ten minutes, Hibs didn't panic and got back on level terms twenty five minutes into the game, the move started with a good one-two between Rob Wall and Declan McDonald, Declan McDonald cut into the box and struck a fine shot at goal, the ball was cleared to the edge of the box where Gary Leahy spun and fired a low shot into the corner of the net leaving the goal keeper no chance. Two minutes later Hibs and Leahy got their second of the game, a long ball was sent down the field which the Fairvew defence failed to deal with, Leahy got the the ball ahead of the keeper leaving him with a easy tap in into the back of the net. On thirty five minutes Fairview were unlucky not to get back into the game, a free was sent in from the left hand side of the box, the ball was only cleared to the edge of the box and luckily for Hibs the follow-up shot went wide just off the right hand post. Two minutes later Fairview were reduced to ten men after one of their mid-fielders was just late in a challenge on Thomas McDade, he received his second yellow card of the game in what was a pivotal moment in the game. With five minutes left in the half Declan McDonald made another good run down the right wing, he cut into the box once again and squared a great ball across the 6 yard box and Leahy was on hand to fire home from close range to give Hibs a comfortable lead going into half time.

Hibs started the second half in the manner that they finished the first, after some good interplay between Declan McDonald and Stephen McInerney, McInerney fed a lovely through ball into the box to Declan McDonald, his shot was saved by the keeper but the ball was only cleared to the edge of the box where Leahy volleyed into the back of the net to make it four. With just under a half hour gone Fairview got a goal back, the ball was sent into the box, it wasn't cleared and the Fairview forward was taken down in the box with the resulting penalty being converted. Hibs were awarded a penalty of their own a few minutes later, Stephen McInerney received the ball at the right hand side of the box and was pushed to the floor, there was no mistaking who was going to take the penalty and Leahy stepped up to get his fifth of the game. Five minutes later Graham Carey who had just come on for Declan McDonald sent a great ball from the left into the box, Leahy made a run into the box and connected from close range to score his sixth of the game. With two minutes left in the game Hibs were unlucky not to score a seventh, Thomas McDade sent a great cross from deep into the box, Graham Carey rose well and headed the ball to the left hand corner of the goal but the ball rebound off the post. This was a great result for Hibs and an excellent performance by Gary Leahy in particular who was clinical in his finishing to score six goals.

Hibs Team: Darren Whelan, James Fitzgerald, Gren Zavjalov, BJ Cantillon, Thomas McDade, Rob Wall, Bobby McPhilips, John Coen, Gary Leahy, Stephen McInerney, Declan McDonald
Subs: Jamie Rowan for Rob Wall, Graham Carey for Declan McDonald
Web Design by Magico