Home Page FAI SSS About Us Our Teams Fixtures/Results Our Grounds Directions SMALL SIDED
300 Club Competition
Club Merchandise
Photo Gallery
News & Events
Contact Us
Secretary's Report
Follow Us On Facebook
Mission Statement
Club Honours
To receive weekly updates on results and fixtures enter your email address here
Shannon Hibernians AFC Shannon
Sun 24 May 2009 - B Team Complete League & Cup Double < back
The B team rounded off a great season completing
the league and cup double in the space of a week.
After going all season long with only one loss
the B team secured the league title with a
comprehensive 6 - 1 victory over Mungret
Regional. A week later they faced Croom in the
final of the Division 4 Cup in Jackman Park.

Division 4 Keane Cup Final
Park AFC 4 - 2 Croom Utd.
Both sides began the game nervously and in the
first ten minutes the sides were limited to
speculative efforts on goal. Park had their first
real attack after ten minutes when Thomas Reidy
sent in a first time cross from the byline but
the Croom keeper managed to gather the ball just
ahead of the oncoming Gavin Lundy. Five minutes
later Park took the lead when Dave Magee crossed
the ball into the box, Croom failed to clear the
ball effectively and the ball fell to Gavin Lundy
who controlled on his chest and rifled the ball
into the back of the net. Park began to impose
themselves more on the game and with 25 minutes
gone Gavin Lundy did well to block down an
attempted Croom clearance, Sean Lyndsey followed
up with a shot but it was well saved. Ten minutes
later Park had another good chance when Thomas
Reidy won the ball in the air knocking it into
the path of Gavin Lundy, but he saw his volley go
wide of the goal. With 5 minutes left in the
half, Park were very unlucky not to get their
second of the game, a ball was played over the
top on the left hand sideline, Gavin Lundy
controlled the ball well just outside the box and
hit a superb strike at goal, his shot looked
destined for the top right hand corner but came
off the corner of the upright, Willie O'Donoghue
was first to react but somehow his follow up
header went wide of the far post.

Croom started the second half with more impetuous
and had a good chance just three minutes into the
second half when they won the ball on the edge of
the Park box but the shot went just wide of the
Park goal. Fifteen minutes gone in the second
half Croom got back into the match with a well
taken goal. Park failed to clear the ball on the
edge of the box, the ball was played into the
penalty area and the Croom forward struck a shot
past Gavin O'Donnell in the Park net. Park re-
acted well and had an opportunity to re-take the
lead just a minute later, Sean Lyndsey played a
ball over the Croom defence but the Croom keeper
managed to get to the ball just before the on
rushing Thomas Reidy. Despite dominating
possesion, Park found themselves going behind
after 18 minutes of the second half. Croom kept
up the pressure on Park and were awarded a free
kick inside the Park half. The ball was crossed
into the box and under pressure, Sean Lyndsey saw
his header sail into the Park net giving Croom
the lead.

Once they had taken the lead, Croom seemed to
take their foot off the gas somewhat and Park
began to re-assert themselves. On 25 minutes
Willie O'Donoghue made a good run down the right
sideline, he cut into the box and fired a low
shot across goal, the Croom keeper failed to get
a touch to it and the shot went into the left
hand corner of the goal to bring Park back to
level terms. Minutes later Croom were then forced
to take their replace their goal keeper due to
injury with one of their outfield players taking
up the goal keeping responsibilities. Park kept
the pressure on Croom but with only minutes to go
in the game had failed to make clear breakthrough
on goal since drawing level in the game. Gavin
Lundy then made a great run down the left hand
side, beat the right back and struck a solid shot
that was well saved by the Croom replacement
keeper and out for a corner. The resulting corner
was cleared, Oggy collected the ball outside the
box, and sent a great cross in the box, Croom
attempted to play Park offside, but had a player
down in the box playing Park on side. Thomas
Reidy controlled the ball, and kept his cool to
slot the ball past the keeper to give Park the
lead with only three minutes left on the clock. 4
minutes into injury time Park made certain of the
win when the ball was played through to Gavin
Lundy, he controlled well and lobbed the ball
over the keeper to score Parks fourth of the game
and his second. There was great celebrations
after the final whistle and Park skipper Gerard
McGettigan collected the Keane cup after
collecting the divisional cup only days before.
Despite the blip at the start of the second half,
as a team Park played very well throughout the
game, James Fitzgerald and Gary O'Brien played
particularly well in the center of the defence
with Gavin Lundy and Thomas Reidy proving to be a
real a thorn the side of the Croom defence for
the whole game. Great credit must also go to
coaches Tommy Kelly and Robbie McCoy who have
managed to get a very good team together and lead
them to great success this season.

Park Team: Gavin O'Donell, James Fitzgerald, Gary
O'Brien, Eric Oggeran, Damien McGettigan, Willie
O'Donoghue, Gerard McGettigan, Sean Lyndsey, Dave
Magee, Thomas Reidy, Gavin Lundy, Johnny Shiels
(Replaced Dave Magee)

Click here to view photos
Web Design by Magico